This was an assignment for IMD 250, we had to analyze all three University of Washington websites. The task was to identify the audiences, target students, resources offered, promotions strengths/weaknesses, key features, emphasis on community, and emphasized programs.
After analyzing all three websites, we were tasked to write about what should be changed on the UW Bothell webpage. I took this assignment a step further and created a concept design of how I think the UW Bothell website should be redesigned.
The original website had design choices that I felt were poorly implemented and missing crucial features.
For example, the text links were practically invisible due to the absence of underlines or buttons that indicate a link. This made the links look exactly like ordinary text (referring to the links underneath the admissions section).
Another change that I implemented into my concept webpage was the positioning of the resource elements. Instead of using columns. I redesigned these elements into rows, so that the webpage will have a more logical order in displaying the most important information first. I started with a slider that displays key news, then I created a row with the most used links, and lastly, I ended the page with recent news/events that visitors might be interested in.
The main changes were:
- Added slider for key news with arrow navigation
- Implemented more purple to make certain content stand out
- Underlined and organized links for easier access
- Implemented different news/event format for easier navigation
- Changed the "University of Washington Bothell" title
- Moved the "Inspiring innovation & creativity" text
- Made the upper bar tabs stand out more
- Moved social media and "Be Boundless" link to the bottom
- Added physical calendar for the event list